Built in 1918 by Albert Loeb, the acting President of Sears, Roebuck, and Co. as a model dairy farm, Loeb Farms was modeled after the stone barns and castles found in Normandy, France. At its peak the farm was the largest employer in Charlevoix County, with over 90 people on its payroll. It had more than 200 head of prize-winning Holstein-Friesian and 13 pair of Belgian draft horses. It even had its own baseball team- the Sodbusters.
In 1962, John VanHaver purchased one hundred acres of the original Loeb Farms property and renamed it Castle VanHaver. He opened it to the public in 1966, offering tours, a cafe, and an art gallery with a working artist studio on site.
Arthur and Edwina Reibel purchased the property in 1969. They tried out many businesses, but eventually settled on a concert venue under the name Castle Farms Summer Music Theater. The property hosted many concerts through the 1970’s to early 1990’s, including headliners like Tina Turner, Aerosmith and The Doobie Brothers, to name a few.
Linda Mueller purchased Castle Farms in 2001 and began an extensive restoration project. The roofs were replaced, wings were added back according to original blueprints, and extensive gardens were created. The Castle began hosting weddings in 2002. Family activities and events followed, creating a destination for the whole family.